Serves: 4 guests
3 lbs. Beef Chuck Roast
8 oz. Bacon Lardons, Cherry Smoked
32 oz. Veal Glacé or Stock
2 cups Onion, medium dice
12 oz. Carrots, cut into 3″ length
12 oz. Parsnips, cut into 3″ length
2 cups Mushrooms, fresh (Cremini, Portabella, Shiitake)
1 cup Dried Porcini
1 sprig each Rosemary, Thyme, Savory
1 oz. Garlic, whole / peeled
2 cups Port Wine
1½ lbs. Fingerling Potatoes (roughly the same size)
1 Tbsp. Chef Joe’s Herb Rub *(see notes)
As Needed Kosher Salt
1. Preheat Dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon and render fat. When bacon begins to crisper, add the garlic. Sauté for a minute or 2, then add onions. Sweat until translucent then remove.
2. Sauté Mushrooms until cooked (about 7 minutes), season with salt and herb rub. Remove when cooked.
3. Season roast with Kosher salt and sear on all sides. Then add bacon, onions & garlic back to the pot.
4. Deglaze with the wine. Bring to simmer, add the veal glacé. Bring back to a simmer, cover and place in to a preheated oven at 350°F for 3 hours.
5. After 3 hours, remove from oven and add the dried mushrooms, cooked mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, parsnip and fresh herbs.
6. Cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Remove the beef and vegetables to a serving platter and place the pot on the stove top. Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.
8. Spoon sauce oven meat and vegetables. Serve
• Herb Rub (equal parts dried parsley, marjoram & thyme; ½ part sage, granulated garlic, granulated onion)